Restoration of the Chancel Screen created for Hereford Cathedral by George Gilbert Scott. This Gothic Revival choir screen is a masterpiece of Victorian metalwork. Designed by Scott (1811-1878) architect of the Albert Memorial and St Pancras Station in London, it was hailed at the 1863 London International Exhibition as 'the most triumphant achievement of modern architectural art'. The screen had been in storage since its removal from Hereford Catherdal in 1967 and was suffering badly from rust and corrosion. All of its 14,000 pieces were conserved before being reassembled for display in the V&A's metalwork gallery.
Hereford Cathedral Choir Screen
Victoria and Albert Museum