The Wilshere Collection was formed at the end of the 19th century and contains 34 fragments of gold glass and 23 sculptured reliefs and inscriptions. Dating from the 2nd - 4th centuries AD the objects were orginally from Roman catacombs and display a wide variety of Christian, Jewish and pagan themes. They are an important source of historical, social and spiritual information for early Christian and Jewish life in Rome. A group of inscriptions come from the Jewish catacomb of the Vigna Randanini discovered in 1857 on the Via Appia Antiqua. Bequeathed to Pusey House by Charles Willes Wilshere, the collection has been on loan to the Ashmolean Museum for some decades. It has already figured in the Museum's teaching and research activities, and they hope to use the material in new contexts and in the renovated Ashmolean due to reopen in 2009.
Wilshere Collection of Early Christian and Jewish Antiquities
South East England